Friday, July 24, 2009

DAY TRIP TO CARPINTERIA

The ol' ball and chain and I headed to Carpinteria a few months ago. I've been lazy and didn't get around to posting these til now. But that probably won't matter by the time you read this.

Carpinteria's a great day trip for Angelenos. It's about an hour and a half away and is amazingly quiet. There's even a restaurant with plenty of vegan options. What's not to love?

We began our day on Linden, which I suppose would be considered downtown if there had been more than 12 people walking the streets. Traffic moves slow and the people who are out are very friendly.

After a few hours of window shopping at a handful of antique stores run by grandmas, we headed to a secluded portion of the bluffs where there's a nice hiking trail and supposedly a killer view of seals. But we're dumb and couldn't find any. The hike was still nice.

If you're in the LA or Santa Barbara area and have a day to kill, hit Carpinteria and tell 'em Jim Hall sent ya. They'll just look at you funny, but getting weird vibes from strangers can be entertaining in a pinch.


The Worker Bee Cafe. I am too afraid to crack a joke about this one for fear that some commie will behead me in my sleep.


The Chamomile Cafe. Plenty of vegan food.


The sign in the window at the Chamomile Cafe. But don't let that fool you. There are some vegan options for breakfast and lunch and plenty of vegan baked goods.


Looking down Linden toward the Pacific Ocean.


Chinatown? What Chinatown? I wish I could say I was trying to get this blonde teenager's ass in my shot, but I wasn't. But it sure makes the picture a helluva lot better, don't it?


Linden looking toward the Santa Ynez Mountains.


Linden has this killer old timey barbershop. Black and white checkered tile and really old sinks. But they were closed.


Carp (that's local slang, ya dig?) has lots of seals, hence the statue. It's located near a grocery store and a makeshift visitor's center comprised of a few bluehairs and a guy who's probably gay sitting on the sidewalk. Pushy lil fuckers too. They wouldn't let us leave until we signed some mailing list.


No explanation needed.


The train drops off passengers about 300 yards from the water and 200 from a taco stand. You can't see that from this picture, but they're there.


Each palm tree on Linden (trust me, there are plenty of them) is dedicated to someone. I wonder if I could get this when I die. Someone look into that for me, will ya?


A plaque of some sort. In journalism school, they taught us never to use lame photos like these, yet it's all I ever take pictures of. Go figure.


Cool hiking area where you're lucky if you pass three people in an hour.


The train runs right through the hiking area. Pretty cool. This shot almost makes me look like I know what I'm doing with a camera.

No comments: