Sunday, May 11, 2008

SLICK RICK IN LONG BEACH


My friend Gabe and Rick the Ruler



Holy shit! Could it be true? Slick Rick, MC Ricky D, Rick the Ruler was coming to my town?

I was excited but cautious. Rap isn't that good live, especially when it's old dudes doing it. But I got love for Slick Rick (and free tickets), so you know I went.

Maybe it was the three beers and the Lakers losing, but I wasn't feeling it as I hopped on the bus to downtown Long Beach. Turns out it wasn't the beers or the Lakers.

Some local emcees opened. Some were better than others, but none blew me away. It never ceases to amaze me how bad most rappers are because they no NOTHING about working a crowd. That's ironic because that's what emcees are supposed to do.

Anyway, Ricky D hits the stage after his deejay played a mish mash of old school hits. It's sad, but this was the best part of the show. Slick Rick came out and stood in the same spot for about 25 minutes, then split.

I'll give him mad props for the amount of jewelry he had on and his pink shirt, but other than that, his show was WEAK. I felt like we were getting the half-assed, this-ain't-LA-so-who-gives-a-fuck attitude. He played wack version of "Mona Lisa" and "Children's Story" and an ok attempt at "La Di Da Di," but the novelty wore thin. I was ready to bail when Rick the Not So Ruler ended his show, which made me feel much better about leaving early.

The highlight of the show came when he was on stage shaking ends. Method Man came out from the backstage area. Not to perform. Just to be seen. That's right folks, you heard it here first. M-E-T-H-O-D MAN was in Long Beach. I heard a rumor the Raekwon the Chef was there too, but I didn't see him.


I really didn't want to type any of this. I love Slick Rick, but the show sucked. I felt bad for anyone who paid $25 for that. I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt by thinking maybe he was really high or something. Ricky D, if you read this, don't hate me. I still got love for ya, but your show needs work.

No comments: